Typical tenant responsibilities include ensuring the property stays clean, sanitary and in good repair. There are some basic maintenance tasks that a tenant can utilize to assist in resolving minor issues.Air Conditioning not cooling / thermostat blank
- First and foremost, ensure the air filter is not blocked or dirty. Replace every 2 months at a minimum to ensure clean air flow to the evaporator coil in the air handler.
- Check main breaker panel to ensure breaker is not tripped.
- Condensate drain line is clogged with sediment. If a shop vac is available, connect the vac to the exterior white pvc drain line to suck out the sediment / blockage which may allow the HVAC system to turn back on. The safety switch, in the drain line, at the air handler can also be pulled up / removed temporarily to have the system engage. A tech will still be needed if so to ensure a clear line going forward. This is a temporary fix.
- If the outside unit (condenser) is not running, a tech will be needed as this is likely a simple electrical fix or a bad fan motor.
- One additional yet fundamental rule a tenant must follow. On the thermostat, always ensure the FAN function/switch is on AUTO, never ON as this would add humidity to the home and run constantly thus shortening the working life of the HVAC system.
- Check fuse box for a tripped breaker.
- Contact the power company as this may be an area outage.
No Hot Water
- Check if water heater is leaking.
- Check fuse box for tripped breaker
Garbage Disposal Not Working
- Reset the breaker switch at bottom of disposal.
- Check for blockage in the sink around the blades. DO NOT put your hands inside the unit unless it unplugged. Never put items such as: bones, potato skins and onion peels down the disposal.
Dryer is Not Heating
- Normally a dryer can shut down due to an overload of lint in the lint trap / filter. Lint filter MUST be cleaned out often as this failure can lead to a dryer fire.
- If lint trap is knowingly clear, the heat strip inside the dryer may be bad. It is a simple fix by a professional.